We ship books and other items to Kenya, at least once a year.
You can bring your donations to Dollimore and Christie at any time (Mon-Fri) and store them at a secure facility in Ashbrook, near Hitchin, Hertfordshire.
We aim to have at least 10,000 books for each shipment to Kenya, as well as many other things (see list below) to inspire the education of children in poor communities. When everything is ready, it is stacked in a 40ft shipping container for the journey to Kenya.
Please contact us if you have any of the following you would like to donate. If you are able to drop them off at either Dollimore and Christie, Stevenage Road, Ashbrook, SG4 7JY between Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4pm or at weekends and evenings at 5 The Lindens, Stevenage, SG1 1ST that would be much appreciated. However, we can also collect if you are unable to drop off, but only if you live in STEVENAGE. If you live anywhere else, I am sorry but we do not have the resources to organise a collection from you.
This is what we need (PDF):
- Books – babies, children, teenagers, adults, text books, comics, references such as gardening, cooking, self-help, DIY, language, travel, dictionaries, bibles (but no preaching books or anti-religion books please). We also cannot take any books that are relevant to just English people (e.g. biographies, English landscape) and that are too old or damaged.
- Toys – any kind. The more the better. If you have some baby toys and ride along toys those would be really handy.
- Games – board games, sports equipment.
- Jigsaws – for any ages, but the younger ones the better.
- Blocks, bricks, legos and any other building type activity (no electrics please).
- Dolls – we never get enough dolls for the little girls.
- Motorbike crush helmets – we need second hand helmets that were NOT in any accidents please.
- Lever arch files and other filing boxes etc. We have been inundated with donations (thank you) and do not have room for more. Sorry.
- Stationery – papers, paper clips, pens, scissors, hole punchers and anything else that office (our library) might need.
- Arts and crafts material – cards, glitter, glue, pens, pencils, stickers, feathers, pipe cleaners and on and on and on.
- Painting equipment – brushes, rollers.
- Tools – all useable tools including small electrical.
- Glasses, microscopes, magnifying glasses, binoculars.
- Furniture – office tables, office, conference, dining chairs, lockable cabinets and plastic chairs for children.